The Underwriting Technician contributes to the success of the underwriting organization by working to drive growth, improve profitability, retain accounts, and service producers. The Underwriting Technician is responsible for reviewing and analyzing all property documents to provide timely, practical underwriting decisions to agents, and for delivering outstanding customer service by communicating decisions effectively both internally and externally. Acts as an integral member of the Underwriting team by providing support within established performance standards and priorities when cases fall above their authority or level of expertise. Ensures all related activities are delivered in a manner consistent with customer service focus, quality and timelines.
- Review applications for complete underwriting information.
- Correspond with agents regarding insufficient/questionable information provided on applications.
- Process Cancellation Notices for cancelled/rejected applications.
- Reinstate approved applications.
- Analyze account specific information and summarize information and findings for Underwriting Territory Manager review (i.e., loss information, description of operations, financials, risk control reports).
- Research and provide underwriting analysis of account information and ensure overall regulatory compliance.
- Work to ensure timely account set-up, clearing, rating, issuance and renewal prep activities.
- Coordinate account processing and servicing.
- Manage account documentation and ensure file completeness and quality (correspondence, proposals, agreement letters, endorsements, cancellations, etc.).
- Communicate with external producers/customers and serve as the first-line point of contact on account related matters (respond to questions and resolve issues in a timely manner).
- Provide administrative support and participate in ad-hoc activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in insurance, risk management or related field preferred.
- Experience with Property and Casualty rating and underwriting.
- Demonstrated skills in the use of computer systems and various software applications.
- Demonstrated skills in collaboration and teamwork, communication (verbal and written), organizational and planning skills.
- Analytical thinking and aptitude for evaluating and interpreting detailed information and data.
- Ability to independently multi-task and respond to changing business priorities.
- Demonstrated customer service experience and the ability to interact with a wide variety of people on a daily basis in person, via telephone and email.
- Insurance regulatory and technical knowledge.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals in, or assigned to, the above position and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required, and may be changed at the discretion of the Company.